Guild Wars 2 Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Car insurance for young drivers!

• Show Printable Version
    • Email this Page…
    • Subscribe to this Thread…
  • Display
    • Switch to Hybrid Mode
    • Switch to Threaded Mode
    MikeyJr.
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    I Beat JohnnyV MikeyJr. is on a distinguished road MikeyJr.'s Avatar
    MikeyJr. PSN Name PSN: mr_inwood
    MikeyJr. Platinum Trophies 37 MikeyJr. Gold Trophies 181 MikeyJr. Silver Trophies 519 MikeyJr. Bronze Trophies 1789

Angry Car insurance for young drivers!

As everyone knows car insurance is stupidly expensive for young drivers. At 18 and recently passing my test i really want a car as ive just spent all that money learning. To then be denied the opertunity because the insurance is a stupid amount! the cheapest quotes im getting on compare sites is £5000!!!! and thats for a 1.2 1999 corsa!!! ive managed to find it for £3500 with Ecar. But will stay pay about 4k because of the monthly payments. i havent got my pass plus either which probably doesnt lower it that much anyways. i wa sjust wondering if anyone knows ways of getting it cheaper? ive tried added people on my insurance, mum and dad for example. and the other way round me being added to them but its still £4000+ !! its so fucking annoying because its a little thing thats stopping me having my first car.

And i didnt think there was any point in saying im male because 90% of people on this site have to be male and the stupid insurance prices king of says that aswell!

Any help would be greatly appreicated. thanks in advance.
    AVERAGE TROPHY HUNTER
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Sephiroth
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    Cillit Bang Sephiroth will become famous soon enough Sephiroth will become famous soon enough Sephiroth's Avatar
    Sephiroth PSN Name PSN: Sephiroth-17
    Sephiroth Platinum Trophies 60 Sephiroth Gold Trophies 246 Sephiroth Silver Trophies 701 Sephiroth Bronze Trophies 2138
    This is based off what my dad suggested and what i have done.
    Perhaps you should try and get the cars name in your parents (car owned by your parents) and get them to insure it and then get added to their insurance.
    If the car is in your name and you have your own policy it is just not even worth it unless your rich.

This is what i do and the insurance is a minimal amount.

Had a 100% Trophy Completion on 4th Feb 2012
    Only person in the world with 100% PAIN and Star Ocean: The Last Hope
    FIFA 11 Ultimate Team - Former #1 in the world (PS3) with the most expensive club value

kjkg
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    GT fanboy! kjkg is on a distinguished road kjkg's Avatar
    kjkg PSN Name PSN: kjkg
    kjkg Platinum Trophies 38 kjkg Gold Trophies 201 kjkg Silver Trophies 577 kjkg Bronze Trophies 2050
    Yeh Mickey, Im 24 and in my mums name. Makes it pretty cheap. Because Ive had no accidents, when I hit 25 Im changing my insurance to my name. Its not as cheap is it would be if I was the main driver all along but worth it when you balance out the prices I could have been paying. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers Simmy_82 for the sig!

RGL_UK
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    Senior Member RGL_UK is on a distinguished road RGL_UK's Avatar
    RGL_UK PSN Name PSN: RGL_UK
    RGL_UK Platinum Trophies 5 RGL_UK Gold Trophies 43 RGL_UK Silver Trophies 142 RGL_UK Bronze Trophies 895
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    This is based off what my dad suggested and what i have done.
    Perhaps you should try and get the cars name in your parents (car owned by your parents) and get them to insure it and then get added to their insurance.
    If the car is in your name and you have your own policy it is just not even worth it unless your rich.

This is what I do and the insurance is a minimal amount.
    It's the best way .. Yet it's also against the law.
    They call it "fronting". This means that you can still pay your premium but if you get into an accident and the insurance company think you lied to them about who is the main driver then they will not pay out and you will get 6 points on your license for driving without insurance. Which then in turn means you have just lost your license. Oh and you and your parents could be done for fraud !
    It's a risky business. When I first past every company was asking in excess of £2000 ... I finally found the CO-OP which I went with for £900.
    Your best bet is to shop around, try your luck with fronting or wait till you get a bit older
    ~If you need help then please click here and send me a message stating your problem and any relevant information~

GeneralDamian
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    Member GeneralDamian is on a distinguished road GeneralDamian's Avatar
    GeneralDamian PSN Name PSN: GeneralDamian
    GeneralDamian Platinum Trophies 33 GeneralDamian Gold Trophies 158 GeneralDamian Silver Trophies 432 GeneralDamian Bronze Trophies 1506
    Insurance has gone up for everyone. Liverpool victoria are usually good for first time drivers, not sure if they are on the comparrison sites so give them a try.
    My insurance has more than doubled this year. Had to renew on 22 march, last year it was 430 this year the cheapest quote was nearly 1100 and ive got 8 years no claims.

john higgans
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    Junior Member john higgans is on a distinguished road
    john higgans PSN Name PSN:
    john higgans Platinum Trophies john higgans Gold Trophies john higgans Silver Trophies john higgans Bronze Trophies
    i had the same problem with my car insurance i am 18
    but then i got a quote for £1466.34 fully comp with me as the policy holder
    i got it done from an ebay add, i payed for it my self, recieved full paperwork
    search this number in ebay and you will be able to contact them
    if you buy from them please quote my name "john higgans" i will get £50
    Thanks good luck

john higgans
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    Junior Member john higgans is on a distinguished road
    john higgans PSN Name PSN:
    john higgans Platinum Trophies john higgans Gold Trophies john higgans Silver Trophies john higgans Bronze Trophies
    i had the same problem with my car insurance i am 18
    but then i got a quote for £1466.34 fully comp with me as the policy holder
    i got it done from an ebay add, i payed for it my self, recieved full paperwork
    search this number in ebay and you will be able to contact them
    if you buy from them please quote my name "john higgans" i will get £50
    Thanks good luck

tehJP
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    Senior Member tehJP is on a distinguished road tehJP's Avatar
    tehJP PSN Name PSN: tehJP
    tehJP Platinum Trophies 6 tehJP Gold Trophies 50 tehJP Silver Trophies 251 tehJP Bronze Trophies 1123
    From what I've seen with me and my wife's insurance it's newer cars that get cheaper insurance. Her 2002 Fiesta was more pricey than my 2008 Yaris... But of course you might not be able to afford a newer car... Not sure if the boy racer Corsa is causing you trouble with the premium, might be worth trying some different cars out to see.

Normally putting another person on as a named driver brings down your premium but maybe because you're young it's not enough these days... always used to work!

Shame that putting the car in your parent's name and you as a named driver doesn't help you out... would have thought that would but maybe the insurance companies are wiser than we think!

CooseyLamen
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    Senior Member CooseyLamen is on a distinguished road CooseyLamen's Avatar
    CooseyLamen PSN Name PSN: CooseyLamen
    CooseyLamen Platinum Trophies 19 CooseyLamen Gold Trophies 71 CooseyLamen Silver Trophies 304 CooseyLamen Bronze Trophies 1034
    wow i didnt realise it was THAT expensive, when i first passed i was 17 and the cheapest i could find it was £1400 for a 1.1 fiesta, which i bought for £100 making my insurance 14 times the car value haha i think this was with elephant.com, i am now with swift cover who are very cheap but i dont know about 1st time drivers anymore im affraid.

i know friends who just add their name to their parents insurance, it really shouldnt increase it too much, meaning your just a named driver on the policy. also some companies offer named drivers no claims discount, direct line do for example, so even as a named driver in say 2-3 years your insurance on your own will be far more managable being older and with no claims.

nickm
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    Junior Member nickm is on a distinguished road
    nickm PSN Name PSN:
    nickm Platinum Trophies nickm Gold Trophies nickm Silver Trophies nickm Bronze Trophies
    I got a good quote from this website last time I did my insurance:

cheapinsurancelocator.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread