• Switch to Hybrid Mode
    • Switch to Threaded Mode
    ardjoe
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    Senior Member ardjoe is on a distinguished road ardjoe's Avatar
    ardjoe PSN Name PSN: ardjoe
    ardjoe Platinum Trophies 14 ardjoe Gold Trophies 66 ardjoe Silver Trophies 214 ardjoe Bronze Trophies 743

Top 5 football matches

After the game of the decade last night, I thought I would start a thread to share the best matches you have ever seen.

1). Aston Villa 6-4 Blackburn Rovers (Agg. 7-4)

Best game of my lifetime. I'm now going to Wembley.

Great atmosphere, great passion, great rollercoaster of feelings. After going 0-2 down, I thought it was a done deal, the best chance of my lifetime to go the Wembley had gone straight out the window.

But then... a goal was pulled back, but Villa were still heading out on away goals. Then came the game's defining moment, Agbonlahor was through one and one and was professionally fouled by Samba, who was red carded, the resulting penalty was slotted home by Milner. The place didn't half errupt.

It finished 2-2 at half time. The bloke next to me said, "It'd be a good game if there's another 4 goals next half". There was 6 goals the next half!

This match was also the first time I've witnessed a pitch invasion. The euphoria of going to Wembley, fans beeping their car horns all the way home and the sign on the match televisions, which read "The match has now finished. Please exit the stadium and make your way to Wembley".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ckburn_Rovers/

2). Aston Villa 5-1 Birmingham City
    Amazing performance, incredibly loud, ensured bragging rights for years to come.

3). Aston Villa 2-1 Ajax
    This is what European football is all about for me - two top European teams colliding. Ajax fans have to be up there with the loudest on Earth.

Another game where the club distributed flags for the fans to ensure another great atmosphere.

4). Aston Villa 2-0 Chelsea
    The first time Villa beat Chelsea at home by two goals in the last 5 years. Villa become a force to be reckoned with after the game.

5). Everton 2-3 Aston Villa
    For almost the entirity of the second half Villa were winning 2-1 and looked comfortable. It was at 92 minutes that Everton pulled one back, after the ball was reset in the centre circle, Ashley Young found some space and cooly slotted home on 94 minutes. Goodison was suprisingly quiet in the home end.

I was present at all games exluding the Everton one.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

IshTing
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    Signature Maker IshTing is on a distinguished road IshTing's Avatar
    IshTing PSN Name PSN: IshTing
    IshTing Platinum Trophies 7 IshTing Gold Trophies 44 IshTing Silver Trophies 143 IshTing Bronze Trophies 685
    Liverpool 3 - 3 AC Milan

Goals - Liverpool: Gerrard, Smicer, Xabi Alonso
    AC Milan: Maldini, Crespo (2)

Its the Champions league final in 2005. I thought it was an amazing game. As a Liverpool fan its more than just nice to see Liverpool come back from 3-0 down. Dudek played amazing and watching him save the double shot from Shevchenko was astonishing. Then it came to penalty's and watching Dudek dance and save the shots was the icing on the cake.

sean1313
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    Senior Member sean1313 is on a distinguished road sean1313's Avatar
    sean1313 PSN Name PSN: sean1313
    sean1313 Platinum Trophies 30 sean1313 Gold Trophies 187 sean1313 Silver Trophies 571 sean1313 Bronze Trophies 1781
    Quote Originally Posted by IshTing View Post
    Liverpool 3 - 3 AC Milan

Goals - Liverpool: Gerrard, Smicer, Xabi Alonso
    AC Milan: Maldini, Crespo (2)

Its the Champions league final in 2005. I thought it was an amazing game. As a Liverpool fan its more than just nice to see Liverpool come back from 3-0 down. Dudek played amazing and watching him save the double shot from Shevchenko was astonishing. Then it came to penalty's and watching Dudek dance and save the shots was the icing on the cake.
    I totally agree. It has to be the greatest come back of all time.

pearce1966
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    NFS Champ pearce1966 is on a distinguished road pearce1966's Avatar
    pearce1966 PSN Name PSN: pearce1966
    pearce1966 Platinum Trophies 8 pearce1966 Gold Trophies 36 pearce1966 Silver Trophies 151 pearce1966 Bronze Trophies 623
    the other nights united vs city

one of my best karts

Lewis Grindell
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    Senior Member Lewis Grindell is on a distinguished road Lewis Grindell's Avatar
    Lewis Grindell PSN Name PSN:
    Lewis Grindell Platinum Trophies Lewis Grindell Gold Trophies Lewis Grindell Silver Trophies Lewis Grindell Bronze Trophies
    ManUtd 4-3 ManCity, went to see this game a while back and it was awesome. One of the greatest matches to ever happen in English football.

Hull 3-3 Westham, pretty good game and lot's of good goals.

Burnley 1-0 ManUtd, although I wanted Manu to win it was a excelllent game and it had some very attacking football.

Chelsea 5-0 Wigan, some very good football played by chelsea.

As you can see, im a manu fan but I like to vary in which matches I go to. And as for the creator of the thread: Why are all the Aston Villa fans over reacting about getting to the final? It's the crappest trophy to win and all the fans are cheering like it's the champions league. :undecided:
    Well they got to the final but I doubt they stand any chance against Manu or ManCity.

mk_ermac
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    Senior Member mk_ermac is on a distinguished road
    mk_ermac PSN Name PSN: MK_Ermac
    mk_ermac Platinum Trophies 15 mk_ermac Gold Trophies 81 mk_ermac Silver Trophies 303 mk_ermac Bronze Trophies 1643
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis_Grindell View Post
    Why are all the Aston Villa fans over reacting about getting to the final? It's the crappest trophy to win and all the fans are cheering like it's the champions league. :undecided:
    Well they got to the final but I doubt they stand any chance against Manu or ManCity.
    i believe its because they haven't won anything for a while i think at them moment anything would do.

AC Milan 0 - 2 Arsenal, not a great deal of goals but Fabregas bossed the midfield to death and one of the best matches arsenal have ever played.

Arsenal 3 - 0 Aston Villa, before the match i though we would loose for sure, had been playing bad for a while and i was nearly right until fabregas came on and destroyed them.

Man utd 1 - 1 Chelsea (6-5) end to end match if i remember correctly and it wass hilarious when terry slipped.

theres probably more but i can't think any yet.
    (i suppport arsenal)

Jam
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    Senior Member Jam is on a distinguished road Jam's Avatar
    Jam PSN Name PSN: jam74656
    Jam Platinum Trophies 37 Jam Gold Trophies 169 Jam Silver Trophies 549 Jam Bronze Trophies 2014
    In order:
    1. Germany 1 - 5 England (World Cup Qualifier 2001)
    2. Manchester United 0 - 1 Leeds United (FA Cup Third Round 2010)
    3. Liverpool 3 - 3 AC Milan (Champions League Final 2005)
    4. England 4 - 1 Holland (Euro 1996)
    5. England 4 - 2 West Germany (World Cup Final 1966)
    Best 5 : Wipeout HD, Sonic Unleashed, Mirror's Edge, Ghostbusters, FIFA 10.

Best 5 PSN 100%: Novastrike, Super Stardust HD, Flower, TMNT Reshelled, Worms.

PSN: jam74656

Murton
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    Banned Murton is on a distinguished road
    Murton PSN Name PSN: Murton76
    Murton Platinum Trophies 25 Murton Gold Trophies 149 Murton Silver Trophies 512 Murton Bronze Trophies 1798
    Sunderland 4 - 4 Charlton Athletic (Charlton win 7-6 on penalties) - 1998 Play Off Final

Not just the best game the old Wembley ever hosted (far better than some 40-year old fluke match against some Germans), but quite simply one of the best games of football witnessed anywhere.

Clive Mendonca puts Charlton 1-0 up at half time. Five minutes into the second half Niall Quinn equalises, and just under ten minutes later Kevin Phillips' 35th of the season puts Sunderland ahead. Mendonca equalises on 70 minutes and the Charlton fans are still celebrating that goal when Quinny makes it advantage Sunderland practically from the kick-off. It stays like this until five minutes from time when Richard Rufus capitalises on a goalkeeping rush of blood from Lionel Perez to equalise for Charlton five minutes from the end of normal time. Nicky Summerbee puts Sunderland 4-3 up in extra time, and again, within minutes, an equaliser... 4-4, as Clive Mendonca, Sunderland born and bred, gets a Wembley hat-trick against his boyhood team.

Then the dreaded penalty shoot-out... unbelievably, the first 12 penalties all hit the back of the net... 6-6. Shaun Newton cooly puts Charlton ahead, then up steps Mickey Gray, also Sunderland born and bred, who weakly passes the ball to Sasa Ilic. 7-6, Charlton are promoted to a stadium ringing to the sound of "One Mickey Gray, there's only one Mickey Gray". Such a physically and emotionally draining day, but was an honour to be there, and both sets of fans were fantastic, Sunderland gracious in defeat, and Charlton magnanimous in victory.

Newcastle United 1 - 2 Sunderland (August 1999)

Was at the beam-back at the Stadium of Light for this one, as Sunderland took on the scum in torrential rain at the Temple of Darkness, but the atmosphere was still awesome. Ruud Gullit didn't think this was a derby, as we're in different cities... and the defeat cost him his job. Kieron Dyer put the scum ahead, before Quinny and a sublime Kevin Phillips finish put the lads 2-1 up. In the dying moments of the game, a crunching challenge from Kevin Ball on one of the scum sends the ball sailing towards our goal, hitting the crossbar... heart in mouth time as we thought they'd equalise to an og.

Sunderland 4 - 1 Chelsea (December 1999)

Chelsea ripped us apart 4-0 in our opening game back in the Premiership, and as usual we were given little chance in the return fixture at the Estadio da Luz. However, we destroyed Chelsea with two goals apiece from Niall Quinn and Kevin Phillips (including a half volley from 30yards on his way to 30 for the season) putting us four-nil up by half time. We rested for the second half and allowed Chelsea a consolation...

Sunderland 2 - 0 Sheff Utd (3-2 on aggregate) 1998 Play Off Semi-Final Second Leg

Trailing 2-1 from the first leg, a Sheff Utd og put us level, before Super Kev gave us the lead. We battered Sheff Utd but couldn't kill them off, and they came more into the game late on as they had nothing to lose and piled forward increasing the Sunderland nerves... Sheff Utd pressure forced a number of fantastic saves from Lionel Perez, only for one to be parried straight to Dean Saunders, miraculously, Perez somehow managed to stretch and keep out Saunders close range header... The atmosphere was incredible, and Perez had said he was never going to be beaten that day with us behind him, and from his heroics I think he was right!

Newcastle United 1 - 2 Sunderland (November 2000)

Another 2-1 win at the Temple of Darkness, Niall Quinn and Don Hutchison this time, and Mary Poppins missing a penalty for the scum. The game is possibly most memorable though for

vertigu9219
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    Banned vertigu9219 is on a distinguished road
    vertigu9219 PSN Name PSN: vertigo9219
    vertigu9219 Platinum Trophies 50 vertigu9219 Gold Trophies 324 vertigu9219 Silver Trophies 1007 vertigu9219 Bronze Trophies 3562
    Dont know if i could think of my top five without a bit of thought but the 2005 CL final would probably be at No.1 with the Liverpool v Newcastle 4-3 match from April 1996 at No.2.
    An amazing game of football.

Goooner!
    • View Profile
    • View Forum Posts
    • Private Message
    Senior Member Goooner! is on a distinguished road Goooner!'s Avatar
    Goooner! PSN Name PSN: Gooner_Tyzack
    Goooner! Platinum Trophies 9 Goooner! Gold Trophies 72 Goooner! Silver Trophies 231 Goooner! Bronze Trophies 1035
    Leeds 1 - 0 United ♥
    Reading 3 - 2 Liverpool♥(after two rounds)
    I'm baack. 'nd i'm better than ever

+ Reply to Thread